Joint Press Release: Rohingya Thank Malaysia – Request to Promote UN Inquiry Next
|Photo: Fazry Ismail/EPA|
5th December 2016
Rohingya Thank Malaysia – Request to Promote UN Inquiry Next
On behalf of Rohingya people worldwide, we, the undersigned Rohingya organizations, strongly express many thanks to the Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak for standing with us and showing solidarity to stop “Genocide of Rohingyas in Myanmar”. We would like to extend our thanks to the opposition Parti Islam SeMalaysia (PAS) President Abdul Hadi Awang, other top leaders from both Malay Muslim-based parties and all the Malaysian People.
We Rohingya people feel a great moral encouragement. Prime Minister Najib Razak has become the first head of state to speak up for the justice of Rohingya since the latest crisis began.
Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak led a protest rally on Sunday against what he called a “genocide” of Myanmar’s Muslim Rohingya minority, as he urged Asian neighbors and the world to step up the pressure to stop the violence.
We also very pleased that Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Ahmad Zahid Hamidi has urged the International Criminal Court to take action against the Myanmar army for atrocities committed against Rohingya in Rakhine State.
Meanwhile, as the situation worsens day by day, we are receiving information that Rohingyas are being killed, including children and women.
We request the Malaysian government to take the following practical steps to stop the genocide of our people:
· Support the establishment of a UN Commission of Inquiry into the totality of the situation in Rakhine State, including violence and human rights violations since 2012.
· Call an emergency meeting of ASEAN Foreign Ministers to request Myanmar/Burma end human rights violations, abides by international law and lifts all restrictions on aid.
· Work with members of the Organization For Islamic Co-operation, securing the support of the OIC for a UN Commission of Inquiry.
· Work internationally for the establishment of a UN Commission of Inquiry to be included in the next Human Rights Council Resolution on Burma in early 2017.
· Work with other countries to ensure that as long as human rights violations continue, the UN General Assembly Resolution on Burma will once again be tabled every year.
1. Burmese Rohingya Organisation UK
2. Bradford Rohingya Community in UK
3. Burmese Rohingya Community in Denmark
4. Burmese Rohingya Association Japan
5. Burmese Rohingya Community Australia
6. Rohingya Community in Germany
7. Rohingya Community in Switzerland
8. Rohingya Organisation Norway
9. Rohingya Community in Finland
10. Rohingya Community in Italy
11. Rohingya Community in Sweden
12. Rohingya Society Netherlands
13. Rohingya Society Malaysia
14. Rohingya Arakanese Refugee Committee
15. Myanmar Ethnic Rohingya Human Rights Organization Malaysia (MERHROM)
For more information, please contact:
Tun Khin: Mobile +44 7888714866
Nay San Lwin:Mobile +49 69 26022349